Sunday, October 26, 2014

Matthew just returned from his 1st boy scout camping trip this afternoon. He had such a great time! They did the COPE course, where he did rock climbing, rappelling, and various bonding activities. This was his first trip away from all family members. I'm trying to build on the 'letting him have more freedom' that came with allowing him go on the trip, and I'm letting him walk the dog down around the green way by himself now. He just checked in after being gone about an hour, and everything is fine. Sometimes it's hard letting them grow up and test their boundaries outside of our protection.

I've been working this weekend and need to work some more, but I've been taking a break and cooking while Hannah is sleeping on Daddy's chest while he's napping on the couch. Very peaceful lullabies are playing on the TV. What a perfect autumn day.

And what can make a perfect autumn day more perfect? Trying out a new recipe involving winter squash! I'll be the first to admit that I'm a picky eater. I need to learn to eat my veggies. I'm hoping actually cooking interesting vegetables will help me develop a taste for them. I will keep you posted how it goes.

But today I am making a Buttercup Squash casserole. I'm living dangerously and not really using a recipe. I've just been looking at a few recipe ideas and figure I'll just wing it. The plan right now if it works out right is this. I split the buttercup squash in half and removed the seeds. I'm baking face down in the oven. When I'm done I will try to scoop out the flesh and make a "mash" of it. When I'm mashing it I will add in some pumpkin spice, a small amount of chopped nuts, and probably some brown sugar. I will cook it in the oven in a casserole dish for a little bit with a layer of brown sugar and nuts on top. Then when it's almost finished I will top it with halved marshmallows, cut side down and return it to the oven until the marshmallows are melted and browned.

Fingers are crossed that we'll like it. If not, I'm making Matt some peanut butter rice krispie treats too since I had promised I would. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment